Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Studying for Comps

The title basically says it all. I have been cramming for the last week or so. I'm not sure how the English Department expects us to study for comps while keeping up with our course reading, paper writing, teaching, grading, and off-campus jobs (which most of us have because we're paid so little). Somehow we do it though. I know most TAs are studying harder than I am. I've been very fortunate in having some great classes that have really prepared me for the comps exam. My thesis also helped. One of my TA friends said he's read about forty articles in the last week. If I combine journal articles, anthologized essays, books, and portions of books, I must have read the equivalent of sixty, maybe seventy articles for my thesis. Plus, I have a nice background on Plato, Aristotle, and other notable rhetoricians. So it hasn't been that bad, but I definitely have a headache.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been hearing quite a bit about comps myself. I take them next year and have started thinking about them already. It sounds like they are really tough. Good luck! :D

Hannah said...

I'm sure you did great! It must be nice that you're done, though I'm looking forward to having Spring Break to study.

Did you feel that it went well?