Sunday, March 15, 2009

Comps are Over, Thesis virtually Complete

Once again, the title says it all. I took my Comps yesterday morning. Got some good questions, wrote some good answers. I am happy with myself. I tormented myself with the formatting of my thesis for the rest of the day.

I happened to catch a presentation on writing a thesis on Friday afternoon (long story), which focused almost entirely on lower-order concerns such as page numbering, formatting, etc. So I went to my office and spent pretty much all of friday night studying for comps, working on my thesis, and talking to fellow TAs about various topics of interest (including, of course, comps). Then Saturday afternoon and evening I spent hours reformatting tables, double and triple-checking page numbering, messing around with my signature pages because of page numbering snafus (looooong story), writing a cover letter for my oral comps portfolio, and completing a couple semi-overdue homework assignments.

On Friday night, I got home a little before midnight and Saturday night I got home a little before nine. This, after I had planned to spend a couple hours putting the triumphant touches on my thesis and then having fun the rest of the day and night. At least I allowed myself to watch "Wonder Boys" when I finally got home.

I suppose it was all worth it. I learned a ton of useful material thanks to studying for so many questions, and I will be able to submit the review copy of my thesis on Monday. I've already put my oral comps exam portfolio in one of my reader's mailboxes. Now I need to get off the computer and the couch and go to work until 9 p.m. Yay.

To end on a bright-spot: I really, really enjoyed the relaxing, fun lunch with all my friends. We deserved it after Comps.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Eric,
I would be interested to know what your thesis is about. How long have you worked on it? How many pages long is it? etc.

I am writing a thesis instead of going the degree paper route. I am starting mine this summer.

Tim