Friday, February 22, 2008

Issues, Issues, Issues

Since our next 603 class is supposed to be devoted to issues, I'm going to discuss some things that have really been irking me this semester, as well as some possible ways of dealing with them. For starters, I have some students who like to text/nap/talk while I'm speaking, which is tolerable for me up to a point. It doesn't bother me so much at the beginning of class, when I'm just chatting while waiting on any stragglers, outlining an activity we're going to do, or just discussing generalities. But later on when I'm talking about specific, they-need-to-know information, it drives me crazy to see someone with his/her head leaned back against the wall, eyes closed, or two girls chatting in the corner, about a weekend adventure no doubt, or a guy texting someone.

I know some material is boring and/or too simple for college level intellects, but I wouldn't waste their time going over it if they knew it or if I knew all of them could figure it out. But whenever I assume my students can do things on their own and I tell them something like, "Format your paper so that it looks like the sample paper in A Writer's Reference by Diana Hacker," a large percentage of them invariably turn in something that could have been formatted out of "Derek Zoolander's Guide to College Writing for Kids who Want to Learn to Write and Do Other Things Good Too." So I take the trouble to hold their little hands and draw an example on the board. And I still get some papers that are not formatted correctly. Of course, formatting isn't a big deal in the grand scheme, but it would be nice if some students took the time to get it right. Or to proofread. Or to write coherent and/or cohesive sentences.

I've found that I tend to snap after so much pressure. Earlier this semester, I chewed out a student who hadn't done the assigned reading after struggling to have a discussion with an entire class of people who didn't do the reading. Yesterday, I told one guy who had his eyes closed, "You're not feeling well, are you? I understand. Try to stay awake, though. I want you to hear what I'm saying." Then when I caught another girl -- who usually participates a lot -- sleeping, I just snapped at the whole class, telling them how I was sick and tired of their crap.

I suppose it's all my own fault for being tolerant in the first place. How can I expect them to stay awake/keep their eyes open if I give the first person an understanding pep talk? How can I expect the repeat texters to keep their cell phones in their pockets when all they have to do is say, "I'm sorry" when I look at them and then I just go on with the lecture.

So, I am thinking about taking a hard-core approach from now on. For example, I've told my students that they need to bring A Writer's Reference with them on Tuesday. If someone doesn't have it, I'm considering telling that person to leave since he/she is unprepared for class. But, what if one of my "good" students forgets his/her book? I can't show favoritism (although some definitely deserve the benefit of the doubt whereas others deserve a kick in the butt). I can't bring myself to harshly penalize someone who made his/her first slip-up all semester. So as much as I want to take an uncompromising white-and-black view of things, I'm too cognizant of the grey areas.

Perhaps I would be better-served to address their behavior through their grades. I've given my students a ton of time to learn, prepare for, and write the critical analysis, which is my starting assignment this semester. Due to weather cancellations, they've received even more time. On Tuesday, they're going to get their first graded final drafts back. Surprise, surprise, the students who sleep/text/chat/don't read/don't participate/etc. have written truly awful drafts. Maybe this will be a wake-up call for those who need one, an affirmation for those who deserve it, and a solvent for all of my frustrating discipline/respect problems. Well, at least one can hope it all works like that.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I was way too easy on my students last semester. I too had students texting in class and I looked the other way. Then it would get on my nerves and I'd take their cell phone away from them. I had students turning in papers late and I didn't have a late policy to speak of. But I really felt like I couldn't crack down halfway through the semester when I'd already set the standard.

The best advice I can give is to give your students more responsibility. Don't lecture. Don't even try to lead discussion. Make them do freewrites or groupwork and collect their writing even if you don't intend on reading it. (Don't skip reading it too often, of course, or they'll catch on.) Make them put an example of a properly formatted page on the board. Hand the marker (or chalk) to a student and sit down.

If they show up unprepared, send them home. There's a good chance that when you tell them to go home, they'll suddenly have a suggestion for a good way for them to use their time in class. I'd let them do it.

smm933 said...

Great advice, Amy. I've also noticed that I have less patience this semester - giving extra credit in small ways to the students who make it to class each day and always do the work - and NOT giving the other students a chance to make it up. I have a much better understanding now of why my professors are so hard-nosed about everything. I think you're on the right track, Eric. We're both learning that there are students out there who are only going to do the minimim amount of work that they can, and what we have to do as teachers to keep their attitudes from poisoning the rest of the class.