Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Different Classes, Different Personalities

This semester, I am teaching an 8:00 a.m. class and another class at 9:30 a.m., both on Tuesday/Thursday. I had thought that the 8:00 a.m. class would be very sluggish, reticent, and difficult to get discussing anything. On the contrary, my 8:00 a.m. class is wonderful. A solid majority of the students offer insightful, interesting comments on our assigned readings. There have been passionate, spirited debates about some of the readings and the issues therein. One of my best students actually said he wished my class was a little longer. Indeed, there have been multiple days when I thought we could have kept going for another twenty or thirty minutes.

The 9:30 a.m. class, however, acts as though someone tranquilized them. A small minority of the students offer good comments. Of these, there is seldom any passion or spirit behind their words. The rest of the students basically stare into space. I have tried very hard to call on every student, letting them know that I expect them to participate in discussion. Yet they readily cop out with incoherent grunts and monosyllabic responses. These class periods get out early and still feel long and awkward.

Today, one student actually got up halfway through class, walked out, and never returned. Perhaps he was merely going to the bathroom and then couldn't return because of a disasterous diarrhea episode. More likely, he didn't want to be there anymore. I can understand not wanting to be in class, but it is frustrating when all but a handful feel this way. In fact, I've had tough attendance problems with both classes, partially because of the rampant illness and partially because of the typical absentee-syndrome.

I really would like to blame the students in the 9:30 class. After all, I'm teaching the same stuff the same way to the 8:00 a.m. class and they love it. But the fact is that each class has its own personality, and it's my job to figure out a way to connect with the shy, apathetic class. So far, calling directly on them, giving them freewriting time, having them discuss in groups prior to class-wide discussion, and using provocative readings have not been very effective. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

smm933 said...

I empathize with you on this one. I've been brainstorming about how to get my Reading class over at the ELI to be more than just me speaking all the time. Yesterday, though, I tried a different kind of assignment and it went over very well. Last semester when I was teaching level 3 reading, the students had to find a newspaper article each week and write a short summary about it. This semester I'm teaching level 4. After our 110 experiences last fall, I decided that we need to start incorporating more critical reading skills in the ELI classes, so I tweaked the newspaper assignment a little bit. My students have to find two articles about the same topic - but in different newspapers, and then report on how the articles differ. I gave them two examples - yes, Matt, I teach with examples - that I found. One was an article on the unusual snow in Baghdad. I used BBC, MSNBC, and Fox newspapers, and then showed them how each one incorporated different elements, such as MSNBC's perpetual human interest angles.
Yesterday, their instructions were to come to class with copies of both articles and then give a brief oral report to the rest of the class about their findings. I was bowled over with how well they did - just an incredible display of analytical thinking on their part. The best part was that the students talked - without any additional prompts from me. In fact, I had to limit each of them to five minutes in order to get through all of the students. I guess what I'm saying is to keep trying to find what interests your students, Eric. It's always going to be different with each class, but the more classes you teach - I think the more you'll be able to figure them out. Good luck - and don't get discouraged.

Eric Sentell said...

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Knife the Cat said...

About the student who got up and walked out, and the general malaise of the 9:30 class...
I personally struggle against the urge to write people off (no pun intended). My liberal guilt doesn't let me off the hook easy when I try to dismiss a student. My crushing empathy turns me to jello when a student cries becuase of their failing grade.
And yet... more and more I feel like some students are just piss-ants who cannot and will not work, at least in this point in their development. They are too surly or hungover to contribute, and will absolutely take advantage of every inch given.
I suppose what I'm saying is, it sucks, but sometimes you can't blame yourself. To assume that it's your fault is to give yourself too much power. Keep trying, don't waver, but don't go easy because of their crappy attitudes.