Monday, March 31, 2008

My passion for reading has permeated my teaching more than any of my other passions and interests. Reflecting on my pedagogy, I realize that an emphasis on reading has influenced my classroom without me even realizing it. Last semester, for example, I was mortified that my students didn't enjoy some of our course readings, which I honestly thought were amazing. Who doesn't like Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "Letter from Birmingham Jail" or David Sedaris's "Cyclops"? I tried to encourage them to read texts analytically, so that they would have something to say in our class discussions, which resembled creative writing workshops. I showed them an essay I had annotated, which resulted in a collective gasp. We practiced analyzing and annotating an essay in class, much to my frustration since they weren't as quick to recognize certain elements (like the thesis) as I would have liked. We slogged through the rest of the semester's readings, and I felt like some of them would never again pick up a book. Surprisingly, many of last semester's students stated in a customized survey I gave them that they wanted more, repeat, more reading. Specifically, they wanted some short stories, novel excerpts, and other creative pieces.

So this semester, I gave my students short stories and book excerpts galore. I packed a lot of reading into the beginning of the semester, trying to give them practice in analyzing texts and material on which to write their critical analyses. I overdid it a little bit. Like last semester, many students did not like the readings I assigned, a fact of life that I have come to accept and even enjoy. Students are more likely to have specific reasons for disliking a reading than for liking it. By disagreeing with me (whether stated or not), they develop independent, critical thinking skills. Nancy Welch writes in "Revising a Writer's Identity," that reading can be a form of "Re-modeling" in which students recognize that they are not perfectly mirrored in texts or in the teacher who they would imitate to be successful (remember Bartholomae's "Inventing the University"). So if a student doesn't like Flannery O'Connor, then he or she recognizes that I, the mighty teacher, am not the end-all, be-all of literature; nor is the student compelled to be invested in the work, unless he/she wants to rip it apart. One of my students this semester wrote a very good critical analysis of Raymond Carver's "A Small, Good Thing," in which she scathingly criticized certain elements while highlighting the saving grace of others.

Although I am interested in Comp/Rhet and Literature, I am also a fiction writer, as shown by some of my reading selections above and the fact that I typically conduct discussions of said readings exactly like a creative writing workshop. I ask students what they think of the readings, sometimes providing a specific question or issue. I consider their comments, reinforce them with an affirming response that may or may not take their thoughts a little further, and encourage as many people as possible to participate. I love it when our conversations become living things, when I don't get to talk for ten solid minutes except to call on people with respectfully raised hands, when someone surprises me with a fresh interpretation that I had never and would never have thought of in my entire life. This workshop style of discussing texts is just as unconscious, I now realize, as my emphasis on reading. I don't plan to change my style with my new-found knowledge, but I think I will try to pull students who don't share my passion into the conversation through methods such as direct questioning, writing responses, mini-debates, and engaging their interests and passions whenever possible.

1 comment:

imcriswell said...

I too use essays as a chance to spark discussion in an almost workshopping sort of format. These are good days because students can feel free to drift away from the text to discuss an issue which was raised by the author.. An essay may involve a jab at the current president, which would spark debate about the current president, the current candidates, etc. These are enlightening days for me, and I hope they are equally as helpful to my students. Last semester, my students said these days were their favorites because they felt like their opinions mattered. I like giving that illusion.